Monday, January 10, 2011

The Jesus Inquest by Charles Foster

First let me say thank you to Book Sneeze for providing me a copy of this book. I was curious to read what “evidence” author Charles Foster found both for and against the possibility of the resurrection of Christ.


Secondly, let me say up front that I am a Christian, an as such, have never questioned the possibility of Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection. Indeed, after reading the short blurb about the contents of this book, my curiosity was along the lines of what arguments one could come up with against the resurrection. Therefore, I was not an opened-minded reader and having already decided on what I believe, there was no chance of “converting” my beliefs on this issue.

What I liked about this book was that the author offers arguments both for and against the resurrection…and I felt he did a good job trying to represent both points of view. That is not an easy task, especially if one already holds a belief, which this author seems to have held.

The premise that because the gospels don’t agree fact for fact about the occurrences leading up to Christ’s trial and the crucifixion and resurrection doesn’t surprise me nor instill any doubts. I understand that the authors of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were individuals and saw the occurrences with individual eyes, thoughts, ponderings, and viewpoints. So it naturally would occur that the gospels aren’t in complete and total agreement. The truth is that the basic information is the same among these books in the Bible, and I attribute any differences to the fact of the authors’ individuality.

It was an interesting read, although much of the time, the terminology was unfamiliar or “above my head.” I imagine a theologian wouldn’t have had the problems of slogging through a reading of this book as I did. I struggled to complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment