Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Don’t Fear Death, but I Fear Dying


I think if we were given the choice of how we would like to leave this world, we we all choose to go to sleep one night and just not wake up the next morning. Anyway, that is what I would choose.

You see, I don’t fear death because death is really a new life…a new beginning…in eternity. But dying, now that is another story all together. I am afraid of dying in a prolonged, painful manner. That is what bothers me about dying.

With the coming of Easter have come thoughts of the Savior’s death, and of his dying. I think even Jesus would rather have had a painless death. “…O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me…” Yet, even as he faced the torment that was ahead of him if the Father’s plan were to be carried out, he continued in prayer, “: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.” (Matthew 26:39)

Because Christ was willing to go through with the plan, he suffered agonizing pain…such suffering that we cannot possibly truly grasp it all in our feeble understanding. There are no words for what Christ went through for us. Even the term “excruciating” cannot completely describe what he went through.

I believe he could have chosen to not endure what he did; that he might have indeed decided humankind wasn’t worth his sacrifice; that he could have chosen to one night just go to sleep and not wake up the next morning. But this would never have fulfilled justice for all sinners, and we would all be lost.

I am so thankful for a Savior who decided to complete his mission on earth by willingly sacrificing his all on our behalf. And in the end, this is really what Easter is all about.

1 comment: